The Prevent Cancer Foundation is proud to be a part of the Amgen Tour of California’s Breakaway from Cancer raising awareness of each stage of cancer (or prevention of cancer) and early detection to all tour festival goers.
I was privileged to be in the Festival tent for the first four stages. As the cyclists are out racing the course each of the eight days, we were able to speak with festival goers about cancer prevention and early detection. As one attendee said, “You have a great message. Thank you for educating my son and I about cancer prevention specifically for a teenage boy. I had no idea that that he should be checking his privates. His pediatrician never mentioned testicular cancer to us and how easy it can be to detect.”
Unfortunately, re-application also seems to be a word that a lot of people don’t associate with sunscreen. Since May is Skin Cancer Prevention Month – festival goers were shocked to hear that re-application of sunscreen is far more important than the level of SPF. SPF30 is fine – reapplication is more important than higher SPF. It was fun to see the expression on a child’s face when we asked them if they argue with their parents when told to put on sunscreen.
I think the next time their parents ask – it won’t be an issue.
Assistant Principal Rob Bergan at Fesler Junior High School in Santa Clarita took our infographics on childhood obesity and healthy weight to use at a middle school assembly. “It’s scary to think that obesity is actually a catalyst for cancer. We must do all we can to help our kids understand what it means to live a healthy lifestyle,” said Mr. Bergan. “In addition our “Beyond Borders” club will be following up with students to provide information shared at the assembly. Peers teaching peers.”
A “Breakaway Mile” was part of three stages – giving locals an opportunity to walk as a survivor or a caregiver. Each “Breakaway Mile” was lead by a cancer champion. For more information on the ten cancer champions, please visit here. The last stage brought the celebrities out as Joan Lunden was announced as a new Breakaway from Cancer Ambassador, and Patrick Dempsey, a longtime supporter of the Tour and Breakaway from Cancer.
We are privileged to be part of an amazing athletic event. It is a reminder of the importance of taking control of your own health and exercising and eating well, in order to Stop Cancer Before it Starts!™
Amgen Tour of California 2015:
The signature event of the Breakaway from Cancer initiative is the Amgen Tour of California, an 8-day cycling event that travels along the coast of California. This year, the tour kicked off in Sacramento and finished in Pasadena from May 10-17. As part of this year’s tour, four Breakaway from Cancer nonprofit partners, including the Prevent Cancer Foundation, traveled to eight cities, walked with hundreds of cancer survivors and caregivers as part of four Breakaway Mile marches and distributed valuable resources and information at the Breakaway from Cancer booth. Our mission is to Stop Cancer Before It Starts!™
Breakaway from Cancer:
Nearly everyone has been touched by cancer. In 2010 alone, more than 1.5 million Americans were newly diagnosed with cancer. Founded in 2005 by Amgen, Breakaway from Cancer is a national initiative to increase awareness of important resources available to people affected by cancer— from prevention through survivorship. Breakaway from Cancer represents a partnership between Amgen and four non-profit organizations dedicated to empowering patients with education, resources and hope, wherever they may be in the cancer care continuum. To learn more about our partners, click here . – See more at:
- Amgen is passionate about helping those with cancer. Amgen discovers, develops and delivers vital biotechnology medicines and has a deeply held mission to serve patients battling serious illness.
- Prevent Cancer Foundationis a national nonprofit organization focused on educating the public about how to prevent cancer and the importance of screening and early detection.
- Patient Advocate Foundationis a national nonprofit organization that seeks to safeguard patients through effective mediation assuring access to care, maintenance of employment and preservation of their financial stability relative to their diagnosis of life threatening or debilitating diseases.
- The oldest survivor-led organization in the country, National Coalition for Cancer Survivorshipis a nonprofit group that advocates quality cancer care for all Americans and provides tools to empower people affected by cancer to advocate for themselves.
- Backed by evidence that the best cancer care includes emotional and social support, the Cancer Support Communityoffers these services to all people affected by cancer through a vibrant network of community-based centers and online services run by trained and licensed professionals.
To learn more about Breakaway from Cancer, visit www.BreakawayfromCancer.com.