Chicken turns this Greek-inspired salad into a substantial main course. Feel free to substitute other chopped fresh vegetables, such as broccoli or bell peppers, for the tomatoes or cucumber. Use leftover chicken, store-roasted chicken or quickly poach a couple boneless, skinless chicken breasts while you prepare the rest of the salad. Serve with pita bread and hummus.
4 servings, about 3 cups each
Active Time: 25 minutes / Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, or oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken, (about 12 ounces; see Tip)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe black olives
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Whisk vinegar, oil, dill (or oregano), garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives and feta; toss to coat.
Per serving : 343 Calories; 18 g Fat; 5 g Sat; 7 g Mono; 89 mg Cholesterol; 11 g Carbohydrates; 31 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 618 mg Sodium; 656 mg Potassium
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
Tips & Notes
- Tip: If you don’t have cooked chicken, poach 1 pound chicken breasts for this recipe. Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water (or chicken broth) to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes.