Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
This chicken taco bowl recipe uses the underside of a muffin tin as a mold to bake cute little homemade “tortilla bowls.” The “tortilla bowls” are filled with a zesty chicken filling and topped like nachos. If you have 2 large muffin tins, you can make all 8 “bowls” at once. Bake them in the upper and lower thirds of the oven, rotating top to bottom about halfway through baking.
1. 8 6-inch corn tortillas
2. Canola oil cooking spray
3. 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4. 1 teaspoon garlic powder
5. 1/4 teaspoon salt
6. 1 tablespoon canola oil
7. 1 cup prepared green salsa
8. 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
9. 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
10. 1 cup thinly sliced lettuce
11. 1 medium tomato, chopped
12. 2 tablespoons sliced ripe black olives
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Heat tortillas until warm (see Tips). Coat each side of 4 tortillas with cooking spray. (Keep the remaining 4 tortillas covered.) Turn a 12-cup muffin tin upside down. Nestle a tortilla in the space between 4 cups to form a “bowl” (see Tips). Repeat with 3 more tortillas, making 4 bowls total. Bake until firm and beginning to brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining 4 tortillas.
3. Meanwhile, toss chicken with garlic powder and salt in a bowl. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until it is no longer pink on the outside, about 3 minutes. Add salsa and cook, stirring, until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, about 3 minutes more. Cover and remove from the heat.
4. Fill each tortilla bowl with about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture. Top with 1 tablespoon each cheese and sour cream, 2 tablespoons each lettuce and tomato and a few olives.
Recipe Tips & Notes:
Tips: Warming tortillas prevents them from cracking and breaking. Here are three ways to warm your tortillas:
In the oven: Wrap stacks of 8 tortillas in foil; place in a 375°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
On the stove: Turn a gas or electric burner on high. Using tongs, slide one tortilla at a time over the burner for a few seconds, alternating sides, until it’s softened and beginning to char. Cover tortillas to keep warm.
In the microwave: Wrap a stack of 8 tortillas in a barely damp, clean kitchen towel (or paper towel); microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds.
Per serving: 401 calories; 21 g fat (7 g sat, 9 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrate; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 4 g fiber; 707 mg sodium; 395 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (35% daily value), Calcium & Vitamin C (20% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat, 1 1/2 fat