Director, Education Marketing
Director, Education Marketing
The Prevent Cancer Foundation is seeking a Director of Education Marketing to provide leadership and strategic oversight of important cancer prevention educational marketing activities and campaigns. The director serves on the External Affairs team, collaborating with the Managing Director on marketing communications, public relations and community outreach plans, and implementation and evaluation, while collaborating with staff across the organization to achieve shared organizational goals.
The ideal candidate is an experienced professional with a background in marketing and issue campaigns, preferably with a proven track record in a full-service communications/marketing agency, with a corporate or nonprofit in-house marketing/creative group, or on educational/issue campaigns. Experience working with health and advocacy organizations is preferred. This is a unique opportunity to move the needle on important public health issues and help people prevent cancer.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop and implement annual educational marketing plan and resulting projects, while tracking budget, timeline and progress.
- Supervise planning of multiple community outreach events (some travel required).
- Serve as additional campaign and issue spokesperson, as needed.
- Manage relationships with celebrity and medical spokespersons.
- Guide development of all marketing and campaign materials.
- Develop presentations for board, sponsors and senior staff relative to project management status and goals.
- Lead project management team and campaign advisory council in the creation or review of campaign deliverables as needed.
- Conduct research necessary to use in all materials in collaboration with the division of programs.
- Assist with creation of corporate grant and sponsorship proposals and reconciliations.
- Supervise marketing/PR coordinator and multiple vendors, including photographers, agencies, etc.
- Maintain confidentiality while working closely with vendors regarding all aspects of campaign and Foundation activities.
- Act as liaison between vendors and external affairs staff.
- Oversee and manage campaign microsites.
- Assist leadership in the recruitment of campaign partners.
- Develop in-depth expertise on particular cancer areas and Foundation programs.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree required (Marketing, Communications, or a related field)
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience in communications, marketing, advertising; nonprofit client or educational campaign experience preferred.
- Ability to synthesize disparate ideas and organizational needs.
- A strong track record developing and executing comprehensive, short- and long-term strategic campaigns.
- Experience in managing/motivating client and creative teams.
- Positive, energetic, “can-do” attitude.
- Superb interpersonal skills—ability to relate to vendors, board members and staff
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Passion for and demonstrated commitment to Prevent Cancer Foundation’s core mission and values.
- Knowledge of the health sector preferred.
- Ability to thrive when working under deadlines; strong project, time and budget management skills; and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing attention to detail.
- An understanding of the primacy of branding and its importance in building social movements.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of website content management systems such as WordPress.
- Willingness to learn and take initiative.
- Experience or familiarity working with African-American, Hispanic, and/or Asian communities a plus.
Position reports to the Managing Director, External Affairs and includes all benefits. The Prevent Cancer Foundation is located near the King Street Metro stop in Old Town Alexandria, VA.
Salary Range: $80,000 – $85,000 with excellent benefits package.
Email cover letter and attached resume to Lisa.Edwards@preventcancer.org with Subject: Director, Education Marketing.