Position Title: Director, Major Gifts and Planned Giving
Reports To: Managing Director of Development
Date Prepared: October 2014
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Budget Responsibilities: None
The Director, Major Gifts and Planned Giving works with the Foundation’s President and Founder, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, and Managing Director of Development to increase the level of donor support in individual, major gifts and planned giving by identifying, cultivating and stewarding prospective and existing donors.
- Create and implement short, intermediate and long-term major gifts donor strategies that include identification, cultivation, solicitation and retention for both current and prospective donors;
- Collaborate with Foundation senior leadership on the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major gift donors;
- Develop funding requests based on the goals of the organization for high net worth individuals and play a lead role in soliciting and closing major gifts;
- Manage and coordinate donor groups to cultivate and request new gifts;
- Cultivate and expand current giving by planned gift donors by enhancing the existing planned giving program;
- Execute major gifts materials including briefing memos, proposals and stewardship materials;
- Monitor activity on a regular basis to achieve major gifts revenue goals and assist with review and verification of major gift donor recognition lists;
- Develop strong understanding of the Foundation’s mission and programs, maintaining collaborative working relationships with all departments to craft messages for potential major donor program sponsors and partnerships;
- Represent the Foundation to outside groups at speaking engagements;
- Other development functions deemed necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred
- 5+ years of nonprofit fundraising experience, major gift experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to meet financial goals for major gift giving
- Working knowledge of planned giving and charitable gifts regulations
- Proven track record of establishing and maintaining relationships with high level donors
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and decision-making skills and work as part of a team
- Proficient in Microsoft Office. Working knowledge of Raisers Edge or a similar constituent management database
Position Title: Accountant
Supervised by: Senior Director, Finance and Administration
F.L.S.A. status: Exempt
Completes Foundation payments on a timely basis while monitoring expenses by receiving, processing, verifying, and reconciling invoices. Reconcile general ledger accounts and bank accounts on a monthly basis. Prepare journal entries and reconciliations as well as assist in annual audit. Assist the Vice President, Finance and Administration and others with special projects as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages Accounts Payable using Blackbaud Financial Edge software to pay vendors, verify EINs ,review invoices for proper coding and support documentation, and scheduling and preparing checks weekly
- Trains new staff on AP coding and procedures
- Follows up with vendors and/or staff on all Foundation accounts receivable
- Journalize anomaly revenue deposited into the lockbox
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations, meet with other departments to resolve discrepancies and recommend/prepare necessary adjusting entries.
- Assist with the month end close through analysis of financial data and properly preparing journal entries on a timely basis.
- Provide monthly financial reports to department heads
- Provide technical support for the annual audit
- Compile data for the Annual 990 Information Return
- Assist in documenting procedures and monitoring of internal controls
- Reconcile monthly bank statements
- Reconcile monthly credit card statements, assisting Foundation President with expense coding
- Assist with Financial Edge Dashboard administration, mapping of Raiser’s Edge funds to Financial Edge project codes, and establishing and updating financial procedures
- Manage relationship and provide support to external state fundraising registration vendor
- Assist Senior Director, Finance and Administration with special projects as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or similar is desired, with 1 – 2 years’ experience
Skills & Qualities:
- Knowledge of Blackbaud’s Financial Edge software a plus
- Computer literacy with spreadsheets, accounting, database, accounts payable, and word-processing applications.
- Strong organizational, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills are required.
- Ability to meet assigned deadlines.
- Highly detail oriented and organized in work.
- Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction to accomplish goals.
- Needs to be a positive, enthusiastic team player who adapts easily to change and works cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management and external agencies to maximize performance, creativity, problem solving and results.
Supervision: No supervisory responsibilities
- Leadership & Staff
- Our History
- Financials & Policies
- Employment Opportunities
For smart healthy living updates, cancer prevention news and more