POSITION TITLE: Manager, Marketing & Communications
SUPERVISED BY: Managing Director, External Affairs
F.S.L.A. STATUS: Exempt
This description incorporates the core responsibilities of the job. It is recognized that other related duties not specifically mentioned may also be performed and that not all responsibilities may be carried out depending on operational needs.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Manager, Marketing & Communications generates local, national and international print, broadcast and digital media coverage of the Prevent Cancer Foundation’s brand, key messages, initiatives, programs and events. The Manager serves as the project manager and principal editor for the Foundation’s signature print and digital publications and collateral material and ensures compliance across divisions with Prevent Cancer branding and style guidelines and publication requests.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Proactively pursues media opportunities for the Prevent Cancer Foundation and provides metrics in both traditional and digital media for internal and external use.
- Acts as the project manager and editor of the Foundation’s signature print and digital publications including but not limited to the annual report, print newsletter, public education and collateral materials.
- Develops strategic media plans for organizational activities and programs.
- Develops materials for the media and other target constituencies including but not limited to:
- News releases
- Media alerts
- Media kits
- Digital media content
- Talking points
- By-lined articles or blog posts
- and letters to the editor.
- In collaboration with the Communications Associate – Graphic Design, works with individual divisions to ensure compliance with print and digital publication requests.
- Serves as an effective spokesperson for the Prevent Cancer Foundation when required and briefs the Prevent Cancer Foundation senior management, board of directors or medical advisory board members prior to interviews, press conferences or presentations with the media.
- Liaise with external vendors as needed.
- Assists in media training of Foundation board, staff and volunteers.
- Handles additional writing assignments as needed.
- Assists the Senior Director in the preparation of annual budgets and performs special projects as requested.
- BA/BS with 3-5 years related experience.
- A proven track record of successful media relations (both traditional and digital) outreach and the ability to quantify that outreach.
- Superior knowledge of the Associated Press (AP) writing style
- Superior editing and writing skills.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and decision-making.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proficient with Cision, Bacon’s Media Map or VOCUS.
- Familiarity with WordPress Content Management System and Convio email application
- Experience working in a health-related nonprofit organization preferred.
No Phone Calls.
Please submit a resume and three writing samples to: Jeanne.Ellinport@PreventCancer.org. Please make your subject line: Application for MarkComm Manager.
POSITION TITLE: Coordinator, Programs Administration
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Coordinator, Programs Administration, is a full-time early-career professional position supporting the Programs Division team and working across the diverse mission-driven programs and projects in research, education and community outreach. Core responsibilities include serving as project lead for the traveling colon exhibit, performing diverse administrative duties (communications, including blogs and eblasts, generation of documents, reports and presentations, record-keeping, maintenance of electronic and paper files, meeting logistics), conducting Internet research and literature reviews, providing logistical support for a national conference, with special projects and other duties as assigned. Serves as website point-of-contact for division.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two years’ experience in administrative support of a small group of professionals
Strong verbal and written communication; familiarity with use of data; good initiative and follow-through; and good organizational, problem-solving and interpersonal skills. Good grasp of Microsoft Office and WordPress, familiarity with social media. Knowledge of social science or public health or Spanish-language skills a plus.
No Phone Calls.
Email cover letter with salary history and attached resume to Karen.Peterson@preventcancer.org with Subject: Coordinator, Programs Administration, or fax to Attention: K. Peterson at 703.836.4413. Deadline to apply is 5 pm ET on Tuesday July 22, 2014.
The Prevent Cancer Foundation is located near the King Street Metro stop in Old Town Alexandria, VA; no moving allowance available.
For further information about the Foundation, go to www.preventcancer.org.
- Leadership & Staff
- Our History
- Financials & Policies
- Employment Opportunities
For smart healthy living updates, cancer prevention news and more