Campeonas Breast Health Outreach
The Campeonas Project
Interested in offering culturally appropriate educational outreach for breast-cancer screening for Latinas? The Campeonas materials from the Prevent Cancer Foundation prepare Latinas, age 40 or older who are committed to advocating for women’s health, to serve as Campeonas who encourage their friends and family to be screened. Click here for more information about the project. The materials include a facilitators’ guide and community-level resources which are available in Spanish and in English and are downloadable free of charge. In addition, the novela “A Timely Encounter” (Un encuentro oportuno) can be used as part of a Campeonas program or by itself as an educational hand-out for Latinas.
For a printable copy of the novela please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Campeonas training is four hours of facilitated, experience-based skills development to prepare participants to “start a conversation” about breast cancer screening with women whom they know. Activities include:
- Role play to practice talking about screening.
- Other interactive exercises to encourage sensitivity and effective communication and to distinguish between breast cancer myths and facts.
With this training, Campeonas will be able to increase the motivation and intention of their friends and family to get screened.
Campeonas training and materials were designed and developed by a team of professionals, many of whom are bicultural and bilingual, with a careful eye to ensuring language and cultural appropriateness. Pilot testing was conducted on both the training and community levels, and the Facilitators’ Guide was developed with a solid foundation of formative research. If you’re thinking about starting a Campeonas program for your organization, the Guide has suggestions for how to start and run your own program.
What You Need to Facilitate a Campeonas Training
The following list of documents in English and Spanish contains what you need to download to implement a Campeonas training. The Campeonas Facilitators’ Guide/Guía para las facilitadoras gives you information and instructions for the activities, and the rest of the documents are training tools and handouts that you will also use. Keep in mind that the novela is also a free-standing resource that is appropriate for a variety of community uses.
Documents specific to a local community, such as the recruitment flyer and the list of programs with free mammograms are interactive templates for your convenience. All documents are downloadable at no cost.
Campeonas Facilitators’ Guide/Guía para las facilitadoras and
Community-Level Resources/Los recursos al nivel de la comunidad
- Campeonas Facilitators’ Guide/Guía para las facilitadoras
- Campeonas Recruitment Flyer/Volante para recultar Campeonas
- Campeonas Button Template/Plantilla del botón de Campeonas
- Campeonas Certificate/Plantilla del certificado de Campeonas
- My Commitment/Mi compromiso
- What You Need to Remember from the Campeonas Training/Lo que necesita recordar del entrenamiento de Campeonas
- Guide for Completing the Campeonas Log/Guía para completar el registro de Campeonas
- Contact Log/Registro de Campeonas
- Novela “A Timely Encounter”/La novela Un encuentro oportuno
- Bilingual Programs with Free Mammograms (DC)/Programas bilingües ofreciendo mamografías gratis (DC)
The Foundation would like to express its appreciation to Susan G. Komen for the Cure® for its generous support of the Campeonas project as part of the ¡Celebremos la vida! program.
For smart healthy living updates, cancer prevention news and more