Healthy Family Meal Planning
- Fresh fruit – daily best.
- Whole grain cereals, breads, bagels and English muffins
- Free range or omega 3 fortified eggs
- Canned or smoked salmon
- Peanut butter, soy nut butter, or other nut butters on 100% whole grain toast, bagels or English muffins
- Low fat yogurt – plain mixed with some fresh fruit best
- Real fruit smoothies
- Regular oatmeal. Avoid flavored instant oatmeal – too much sugar.
- 100% whole grain bread sandwiches – turkey, egg salad, tuna salad, chicken, PB & J , veggie and cheese
- Fresh cut up raw veggies – carrots, celery, broccoli florets, grape tomatoes, etc
- Fruit – fresh best
- Whole grain crackers, baked multigrain chips
- Granola bars
- Nuts or seeds
- Water,100% fruit or vegetable juice or skim/low-fat milk
- Always offer at least 2 veggies. Tossed salads are popular with most kids.
- Consider having 1-2 suppers/week with no animal protein, i.e. beans/rice, veggie pizza, black bean quesadillas, pasta with veggies, etc.
- Serve protein in the healthiest packages – fish, shellfish, beans/legumes, skinless poultry, wild game, free range eggs. Restrict fatty cuts of red meat and processed meats.
- Make the starch a healthy one – corn, beans, brown rice, small new potatoes with the skin, sweet potatoes, barley, quinoa.
- Do not serve bread at dinner on a daily basis – bad habit! When you do, make it whole grain.
- Sit down with the entire family as often as possible. Make sure your child is served everything, even if they do not like it. It can take up to 15 exposures before a child may try a new food.
Copyright 2010 Just Wellness, LLC
About this tip sheet
This tip sheet was created by Ann Kulze M.D., a well-respected physician and nutrition expert. Dr. Kulze is also a member of the Prevent
Cancer Foundation’s Board of Directors. This tip sheet has been edited for adherence to recent findings by the Foundation’s Programs
All information on this tip sheet should be considered general health information published to aid the reader in their personal quest for
holistic wellness. Our goal is to support readers in maximizing their wellness and vitality.