Childhood Obesity: A Call to Action for Parents
- Sit down for healthy family meals as often as possible.
- Be a role model – children respond more to actions than words.
- Limit screen time, especially TV to 2 hours or less daily.
- Ensure that your child accumulates at least 1 hour of moderate to vigorous physical activity daily.
- Ensure that your child eats breakfast daily.
- Restrict your child’s intake of sweet beverages (soda, fruit drinks, sports drinks, and fruit juice).
- Ensure that most of the food choices available in your home are healthy and encourage your child to eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Limit availability of fast food, junk food and sweets (if it’s not there, it’s not an option)!
- Breastfeed exclusively for at least 6 months.
Copyright 2010, Just Wellness, LLC
About this tip sheet
This tip sheet was created by Ann Kulze M.D., a well-respected physician and nutrition expert. Dr. Kulze is also a member of the Prevent Cancer Foundation’s Board of Directors. This tip sheet has been edited for adherence to recent findings by the Foundation’s Programs staff.
All information on this tip sheet should be considered general health information published to aid the reader in their personal quest for holistic wellness. Our goal is to support readers in maximizing their wellness and vitality.