Get Kids To Eat Veggies
1. Go Stealth!
- Shred veggies (or buy them already shredded) carrots, zucchini, cabbage, broccoli, etc. and
add to meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, lasagna, and baked goods like muffins.
- Add canned pumpkin or canned sweet potato puree (both high in fiber and loaded with
vitamin A and other carotenoids) to soups, baked goods and pancakes. I always add
canned pumpkin to my corn bread! Sweet potato puree is yummy blended with plain or
- Add finely shredded kale or spinach to soups and stews.
- Make “mock-mashed” potatoes from cooked cauliflower.
2. Go kid friendly.
- Kids find “finger foods” more fun and are especially fond of “dipping.” Serve baby carrots, celery sticks, bell pepper strips, cherry tomatoes, along with a “healthy dip” like hummus, yogurt-based or other low-fat dressings.
3. Exploit the power of hunger.
- Prior to dinner, serve an appetizer of colorful veggies (carrots, cucumbers, red bell peppers,
yellow bell peppers, etc.) with a healthy dip (hummus, mustard, low-fat dressing). Children
are typically hungry prior to dinner and are more apt to consume veggies in this context.
Additionally, color and variety stimulate eating behaviors which further leverage this useful
4. Involve your child in the selection and preparation of vegetable dishes.
- Studies show that children are more apt to eat and enjoy food they have experienced with
all of their senses.
5. Exploit their inherent sweet tooth.
- Offer the sweeter varieties of veggies – baby peas, carrots, sweet potatoes, red/yellow bell
pepper strips, cherry tomatoes and sugar snap peas.
Copyright 2010, Just Wellness, LLC
About this tip sheet
This tip sheet was created by Ann Kulze M.D., a well-respected physician and nutrition expert. Dr. Kulze is also a member
of the Prevent Cancer Foundation’s Board of Directors. This tip sheet has been edited for adherence to recent findings by
the Foundation’s Programs staff.
All information on this tip sheet should be considered general health information published to aid the reader in their
personal quest for holistic wellness. Our goal is to support readers in maximizing their wellness and vitality.
- Preventable Cancers
- Reduce Cancer Risk
- Cancer Prevention & Early Detection Personal Stories
For smart healthy living updates, cancer prevention news and more