Congratulations on your 25th Anniversary! Long time board member Margi Vanderhye has not only supported the Foundation for over 20 years, but she “walks the walk” of a healthy lifestyle in her own home. She offers this delicious and nutritious recipe for you to enjoy. “What the Foundation has been able to do for the last 25 years is give people a reason to own their own health.”
BUTTERMILK BRAN MUFFINS
This recipe offered by Foundation board member Margaret Vanderhye is a delicious source of fiber. “In my family, these great healthy muffins never last long. Also, the batter can be stored refrigerated for up to a month so you can spoon just as much batter as you need each time into muffin cups.” Enjoy!
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 cups ALL BRAN divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 – 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and use greased muffin cups or use muffin papers.
- Pour boiling water over 1 cup of the All Bran and set aside to let cool.
- Cream the butter with the sugar and add the eggs one at a time blending well.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt and mix well in a separate bowl.
- Add the cooled bran mix to the creamed mix and stir well.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk.
- Add the other 2 cups of All Bran and then add the raisins stirring lightly to incorporate all.
- Spoon into greased muffin cups or use muffin papers and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
Note: Stores well when covered in the refrigerator for up to a month, so you can use just as much batter as you need each time.
Editor’s Note: This post is part of the 25th Anniversary Testimonials Initiative.