We’re only a few days away from the Prevent Cancer 5k Walk/Run & Health Fair! Are you ready? Running coaches Lisa Reichmann and Julie Sapper of Run Farther & Faster are back to give you some race day tips for running or walking your best 5k.
- Warm up: Before the 5k, do a few minutes of dynamic stretching, such as a brisk walking warm-up, jumping jacks, or a running drill like high knees to warm up. Follow along with the warmup instructor to loosen up and get ready to run.
- Strategize: Avoid the temptation to start out too fast. While it’s tempting to “bank” time by running fast and then slowing down, this strategy often results in a faster loss of energy and a slower race time overall.
- Appreciate: During the 5k, you will may feel tired or discouraged at some point. If this happens to you, take a moment to appreciate that you have the opportunity to run for an important cause- helping millions of people prevent or detect cancer early. This appreciation will undoubtedly pull your body and mind out of the slump that often happens to race participants.
- Fuel: Proper nutrition is essential to recovery. Within 20 to 30 minutes of finishing a run, eat a healthy protein or carb snack to fuel recovery and minimize hunger later in the day.
- Stretch: Following the 5k, do a few minutes of static stretching to avoid tightness.
- Be Proud: Whether you just finished your first 5k or your fiftieth, take a moment to reflect on your accomplishment and then plan for the next one!
Today is your last chance to register for the 5k- click here to sign up and bring some friends! You don’t want to miss a fun day running or walking to raise money for research, education, outreach and advocacy programs that help people all over the world Stop Cancer Before It Starts!™
About the Coaches
Lisa Reichmann and Julie Sapper, co-founders of Run Farther & Faster, coach runners of all levels locally through their group training programs in Montgomery County, Maryland, and nationwide through their virtual coaching services. For more tips or further information, contact them at email@example.com.