5 days and counting! This coming Sunday, September 21, marks the 6th annual Prevent Cancer 5k Walk/Run. The Prevent Cancer 5k Walk/Run is a family (and dog!) friendly event focused on promoting healthy living. Participants run or walk along the Capitol Riverfront boardwalk and through Yards Park, enjoying scenic views along the way.
We know that you’re pumped for the 5k, but the excitement doesn’t end there. The health fair on the stadium concourse before and after the Walk/Run is not to be missed.
5 “can’t miss” activities at Sunday’s health fair:
- Screenings and vaccinations. Walgreens will be providing flu vaccinations on site ($25 cash, credit or insurance card accepted) and free Body Mass Index testing. Next stop: Dr. Julie Lokitis is doing free oral screenings, and the Chamberlain College of Nursing will be providing free blood pressure screenings.
- The batting cages. Practicing your swing in the batting cages is a dream come true for any Nats fan.
- Get your face painted. The FacePaint Lady will be painting faces on Sunday. As she says, “Life is short…get your face painted!”
- Walk through a giant colon. Large-scale versions of colon diseases in the Prevent Cancer Super Colon™ are scarier than anything that you’ll witness this Halloween.
- Learn about cancer prevention organizations and programs in your community. Breast Care for Washington, Howard University Cancer Center and numerous other organizations will be at Sunday’s event to discuss how prevention is making a difference.
With 1.6 million Americans diagnosed with cancer every year, cancer prevention and early detection is a cause that can effect positive change in all of our lives. Join us this weekend and walk and run to save lives.
We look forward to seeing you on Sunday!