This rib-sticking chili offers a hearty mix of wheat berries, beans, peppers and onion. Feel free to add an additional chipotle pepper to crank up the heat in this one-pot meal. Cooked wheat berries will keep for up to 1 month in your freezer and there’s no need to thaw them; just stir them directly into the chili.
6 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper,chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 2 14-ounce cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced (see Tip)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 2 cups Cooked Wheat Berries, (recipe follows)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, chipotle to taste, broth and brown sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir in cooked wheat berries and heat through, about 5 minutes more. (If using frozen wheat berries, cook until thoroughly heated.) Remove from the heat. Stir in lime juice. Garnish each bowl with avocado and cilantro.
Per serving : 386 Calories; 11 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 7 g Mono; 61 g Carbohydrates; 14 g Protein; 15 g Fiber; 703 mg Sodium; 311 mg Potassium
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very-lean meat, 2 fat
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Canned chipotle peppers (smoked jalapeños) in adobo sauce add heat and a smoky flavor. Look for the small cans with other Mexican foods in large supermarkets. Once opened, store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.