Yield: 5 servings, about 2 cups each
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Pureed berries give the tangy wine vinegar dressing a creamy texture that gently clings to the lettuce and fruit. This is a salad to enjoy when fresh berries are in the market.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries, divided
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 small clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 ripe mango, diced (see Tip)
- 1 small ripe avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts or sliced almonds (see Tip), optional
- Puree 1/2 cup raspberries, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in a blender until combined.
- Combine greens, mango, avocado and onion in a large bowl. Pour the dressing on top and gently toss to coat. Divide the salad among 5 salad plates. Top each with the remaining raspberries and sprinkle with nuts, if using.
Recipe Tips & Notes:
- Tips: To dice a mango:
- 1. Slice both ends off the mango, revealing the long, slender seed inside. Set the fruit upright on a work surface and remove the skin with a sharp knife.
- 2. With the seed perpendicular to you, slice the fruit from both sides of the seed, yielding two large pieces.
- 3. Turn the seed parallel to you and slice the two smaller pieces of fruit from each side.
- 4. Cut the fruit into the desired shape.
- To toast chopped or sliced nuts, heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
Per serving: 229 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 12 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrate; 3 g protein; 8 g fiber; 82 mg sodium; 613 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Vitamin A (60% dv), Folate (36% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 vegetable, 3 fat