Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour (including chilling)
To Make Ahead: Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month; thaw at room temperature.
Great for breakfast on the go! Golden roasted nuts, seeds and oats are enveloped by flavorful almond butter in these delectably chewy, no-fuss energy bars. Unrefined turbinado sugar adds a deep caramelly undertone. Feel free to use light brown sugar instead. Bars stored at room temperature will be softer than those that are refrigerated.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds, preferably golden
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened whole-grain puffed cereal (see Note)
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup chopped golden raisins
- 1/4 cup creamy almond butter (see Note)
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar (see Note)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square pan with cooking spray.
- Spread oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds and sesame seeds on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the oats are lightly toasted and the nuts are fragrant, shaking the pan halfway through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add cereal, currants, apricots and raisins; toss to combine.
- Combine almond butter, sugar, honey, vanilla and salt in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low, stirring frequently, until the mixture bubbles lightly, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Immediately pour the almond butter mixture over the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon or spatula until no dry spots remain. Transfer to the prepared pan. Lightly coat your hands with cooking spray and press the mixture down firmly to make an even layer (wait until the mixture cools slightly if necessary). Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes; cut into 8 bars.
Recipe Tips & Notes:
- Ingredient notes: For this recipe, we like unsweetened puffed multi-grain cereal, such as Kashi’s 7 Whole Grain Puffs.
- Almond butter can be found at natural-foods stores and large supermarkets, near the peanut butter.
- Turbinado sugar is steam-cleaned raw cane sugar. It’s coarse-grained and light brown in color, with a slight molasses flavor. Find it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets or at natural-foods stores.
Per serving: 244 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrate; 15 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 74 mg sodium; 313 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (19% daily value).
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat