Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
This stuffed pizza is filled with crumbled tofu, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, cheese and fresh basil. It’s easy to make stuffed pizza at home. Just roll the crust thin, spread filling over half and fold closed. To use fresh spinach, cook 10 ounces until just wilted; finely chop and squeeze dry. Serve with: Marinara sauce for dipping and mixed green salad.
- Cooking spray, preferably canola or olive oil
- 1 14-ounce package firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup chopped soft or reconstituted sun-dried tomatoes (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 475°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Finely crumble tofu; pat dry. Place in a large bowl and use your hands to combine with spinach, tomatoes, Parmesan, mozzarella, basil, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about the length of the prepared baking sheet and twice as wide (approximately 16 by 18 inches). Transfer the dough to the baking sheet, allowing the extra width to hang over on one side onto a clean surface. Spread the filling on the dough in the pan, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold the overhanging dough over the filling. Fold the edges closed and crimp with a fork to seal. Make several small slits in the top to vent steam; lightly coat the top with cooking spray.
- Bake the stuffed pizza until well browned on top, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool slightly before cutting.
Recipe Tips & Notes:
- Tip: For this recipe, look for soft sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil). If you can only find tomatoes that are very dry (and hard), soak in boiling water for about 20 minutes, drain, chop and then add to the pizza filling.
Per serving: 291 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrate; 1 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 4 g fiber; 607 mg sodium; 419 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (119% daily value), Calcium (37% dv), Magnesium (20% dv), Folate (19% dv).
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat