Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Caramelized sweet potatoes and red onion are the bed for chicken thighs that cook up fast in a very hot oven—perfect for a quick healthy chicken dinner. Serve with a fall salad of mixed greens, sliced apples and blue cheese.
1. 2 tablespoons whole-grain or Dijon mustard
2. 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried
3. 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
4. 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
5. 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
6. 1 1/2-2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
7. 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
8. 1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch wedges
1. Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F. Place a large rimmed baking sheet in the oven to preheat.
2. Combine mustard, thyme, 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl; spread the mixture evenly on chicken.
3. Toss sweet potatoes and onion in a bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven and spread the vegetables on it. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables.
4. Return the pan to the oven and roast, stirring the vegetables once halfway through, until the vegetables are tender and beginning to brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into a chicken thigh registers 165°F, 30 to 35 minutes.
Per serving: 408 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 9 g mono); 86 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrate; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 5 g fiber; 554 mg sodium; 636 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (449% daily value), Vitamin C (44% dv), Zinc (20% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Iron (16% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 4 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat