Yield: 6 servings, 2 tacos each
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Charring tomatoes in a cast-iron skillet yields smoky results.
1. 1 pound ripe plum tomatoes cored (about 4-5)
2. 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
3. 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
4. Salt & freshly ground pepper
5. 1 large white onion finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
6. 2 cloves cloves garlic very finely chopped
7. 2 jalapeño peppers seeded and very finely chopped
8. 2 tablespoons lime juice
9. 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
10. 4 scallions chopped
11. 12 corn tortillas warmed
12. 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream for garnish
13. 2 limes cut into quarters
1. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat until very hot. Place tomatoes in the skillet and turn occasionally with tongs until charred on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly. Cut in half crosswise; squeeze to discard seeds. Chop the remaining pulp and skins; set aside.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of the oil to the pan and heat over high heat until the oil is very hot. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is browned on all sides and no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeños and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add lime juice and the reserved chicken and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and stir in cilantro and scallions. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
4. Spoon filling into warm tortillas, roll up and serve with sour cream and lime wedges.
Recipe Tips & Notes:
1. Wrap tortillas in barely damp paper towels and microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds.
Per serving: 301 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrate; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 6 g fiber; 138 mg sodium; 605 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (42% daily value), Selenium (35% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Vitamin A (17% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat