Yield: 4 servings, about 1 cup each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
These green beans tossed with creamy blue cheese and topped with toasted walnuts pair well with grilled steak or chicken.
1. 1 pound green beans, trimmed
2. 1/4 cup water
3. 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
4. 1/4 teaspoon salt
5. 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
6. 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
7. 1/3 cup toasted chopped walnuts (see Tip)
1. Bring green beans and water to a boil in a large skillet. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the beans are just tender, 3 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the water has evaporated, 3 to 4 minutes more.
2. Add oil, salt and pepper to the pan and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Transfer the beans to a large bowl and toss with blue cheese until well coated. Sprinkle each serving with walnuts.
To toast chopped or sliced nuts, stir constantly in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 163 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrate; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 302 mg sodium; 233 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 2 fat