Instead of putting on pounds, these simple tricks will treat you and your family to a healthier Halloween. Kara Smith, special project coordinator at the Loyola Center for Fitness suggests:
- Buy candy you don’t like, and buy it the day before Halloween to avoid temptation while handing it out.
- Stay away from chocolate. Research shows people tend to eat more chocolate than any other type of candy.
- Eat a full, healthy meal before trick-or-treating to suppress the urge to gorge on candy.
- Chew sugarless gum! The taste will sate your desire.
- Keep your wrappers as a reminder of your candy count.
- Put excess candy out of sight. It is much easier to avoid it if you can’t see it.
Smith also offered up alternate treats to fill the candy bowl like boxes of raisins, spider rings and other Halloween favors, sugarless gum or packets of instant cocoa. Have a great Halloween and remember that there are alternatives to feasting on candy. Read the full article at Newswise.