Click a position below to view its job description:
Department: External Affairs
Reports To: Managing Director of External Affairs
Summary of Position:
The Prevent Cancer Foundation is seeking a Director of Campaigns to provide leadership and strategic oversight of an important cancer prevention educational campaign. The campaign director serves on the External Affairs team, collaborating with the Managing Director on campaign marketing communications, public relations and community outreach plans, implementation and evaluation, and collaborating with staff across the organization to achieve shared organizational goals.
The ideal candidate is an experienced professional with a background in issue campaigns, preferably with a proven track record in a full-service communications/marketing agency or with a corporate in-house marketing/creative group or on educational/issue campaigns. Experience working with health and advocacy organizations is preferred. This is a unique opportunity to contribute to an issue and organization of historic importance and help prevent cancer for thousands of people.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement annual campaign plan and resulting projects, while tracking budget, timeline and progress.
- Supervise planning of multiple community outreach events (some travel required).
- Serve as additional campaign spokesperson, as needed.
- Manage relationships with celebrity and medical spokespersons.
- Guide development of all campaign materials.
- Develop presentations for board, sponsors and senior staff relative to project management status and goals.
- Lead project management team and campaign advisory council in the creation or review of campaign deliverables.
- Conduct research necessary to use in all materials; in collaboration with the programs division.
- Assist with creation of corporate and grant sponsorship proposal.
- Supervise educational campaigns coordinator, media relations contractor and multiple vendors, including photographers, agencies, etc.
- Maintain confidentiality while working closely with vendors regarding all aspects of the campaign.
- Act as liaison between campaign vendors and external affairs staff.
- Oversee and manage campaign microsites.
- Assist leadership in the recruitment of campaign partners.
- Develop in-depth expertise in the particular cancer area.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree required (Marketing, Communications, or a related field)
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience in communications, marketing, advertising; nonprofit client or educational campaign experience preferred.
- Ability to synthesize disparate ideas and organizational needs.
- A strong track record developing and executing comprehensive, short- and long-term strategic campaigns.
- Experience in managing/motivating client and creative teams.
- Positive, energetic, “can-do” attitude.
- Superb interpersonal skills—ability to relate to vendors, board members, and staff
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Passion for and demonstrated commitment to Prevent Cancer Foundation’s core mission and values.
- Knowledge of the health sector preferred.
- Ability to thrive when working under deadlines; strong project, time, and budget management skills; and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing attention to detail.
- An understanding of the primacy of branding and its importance to building social movements.
- Experience managing social media campaigns (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn).
- Expert with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of website content management systems such as WordPress.
- Willingness to learn and take initiative.
- Experience or familiarity working with African-American, Hispanic, and/or Asian community, a plus.
Position reports to the Managing Director, External Affairs and includes all benefits. The Prevent Cancer Foundation is located near the King Street Metro stop in Old Town Alexandria, VA.
Salary Range: $80,000-$85,000 with excellent benefits package.
Email cover letter and attached resume to Lisa.Hanna@preventcancer.org with Subject: Director, Campaigns.