Zucchini Salad with Shaved Parmesan
Makes 6 servings
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds small zucchini, cut into lengthwise slices about 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Tips)
- 1/3 cup thinly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (see Tips)
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove the peel from lemon with a vegetable peeler, making sure not to include any white pith. (Reserve the lemon.) Cut the peel into thin slivers. Add to the boiling water and cook until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon into a small bowl. Add oil, pepper and salt and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high or place a grill pan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tips) or the grill pan. Grill zucchini slices, turning once, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Arrange the zucchini on a platter and drizzle with the reserved lemon dressing. Serve sprinkled with almonds, cheese and the lemon peel.
Per serving : 135 Calories; 10 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 6 g Mono; 4 mg Cholesterol; 8 g Carbohydrates; 5 g Protein; 2 g Fiber; 181 mg Sodium; 452 mg Potassium
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetables, 2 fat
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4, cover and refrigerate the zucchini, lemon peel and dressing for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Tips: To toast sliced or chopped nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave thin curls or slivers off a block of hard cheese like Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)