Wild Rice with Dried Apricots & Pistachios
Colorful apricots, scallions and pistachios make this vibrant dish worthy of any holiday table. Since wild rice (really a grass) does not absorb liquid to the extent that true rice and other grains do, cook it in boiling water and saute the vegetables separately so they stay tender-crisp.
6 servings, 2/3 cup each
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, diced
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced scallion greens
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add wild rice, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook at a lively simmer until the grains are tender and starting to split, 45 to 55 minutes. Drain in a fine sieve.
- Shortly before the wild rice is ready, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add bell pepper, garlic and cumin; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add apricots, orange juice, salt and pepper; simmer until the apricots have plumped and the liquid has reduced slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the wild rice. Remove from the heat and stir in scallion greens. Serve topped with chopped pistachios.
Per serving : 224 Calories; 5 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 3 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 39 g Carbohydrates; 7 g Protein; 5 g Fiber; 104 mg Sodium; 498 mg Potassium
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat