Prevent Cancer Foundation Honors the Country of Turkey in its Annual Spring Gala Set for March 14, 2008 at the National Building Museu
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
January 30, 2008
Susanne Hartman, 703-837-3692
The Prevent Cancer Foundation (formerly the Cancer Research and Prevention Foundation) — the only organization in the United States solely dedicated to the prevention of cancer since 1985 – is holding its Annual Spring Gala at the National Building Museum on March 14, 2008. The fundraising event, which this year honors the country of Turkey, is held to further our mission: the prevention and early detection of cancer through scientific research, education and community outreach to all populations, including children and the underserved.
Prevent Cancer Foundation Annual Gala, widely recognized as one of Washington’s premier events; the gala typically attracts more than 900 guests from the business, diplomatic, government, medical, sports, media and social communities.
Friday, March 14, 2008
7 p.m. – 12 a.m.
National Building Museum
401 F Street, NW, Washington, DC
His Excellency, the Ambassador of Turkey and Mrs. Nabi Sensoy
Ms. Brenda Becker and Mr. David Tutera
Honorary Congressional Gala Chairs
Honorable Tom Harkin and Mrs. Harkin
Honorable Gordon Smith and Mrs. Smith
Honorable Norman Dicks and Mrs. Dicks
Honorable Ed Whitfield and Mrs. Whitfield
Proceeds from the event support the Prevent Cancer Foundation 21st Century Young Scientists Fund for research grants and fellowships and breast cancer screening through the Prevent Cancer Foundation/GW Mammovan and ¡Celebremos La Vida!, a breast and cervical screening program for Hispanic women in underserved communities.
- This is the fourteenth annual Spring Gala.
- The gala salutes a different country each year. France, Italy, Greece, Brazil, the Netherlands, Spain, Morocco, Singapore, Japan, Australia, and Ireland, have been honored at the event.
- Since 1994, the gala has raised over $12 million to support cancer research and programs for underserved communities.
- The gala has been profiled in the Washington Post, Washington Life, Washington Times, The Georgetowner, The Hill, and New York Social Diary.
- Former President George H.W. and Barbara Bush (Honorary Chairs of the first gala, and special guests of the 10th gala), Justice Anthony Kennedy, Sam Donaldson, Tim Russert, Cokie Roberts, and author Frank McCourt have all attended the gala.
- Past gala sponsors have include Abbott Laboratories, AmerisourceBergen, Amgen, AstraZeneca, AT&T, Bank of America, BlueCross BlueShield, Boeing, BP America, Bristol Myers Squibb, Chubb Corporation, Citigroup, Cisco Systems, Coca-Cola, Dell , DIAGEO, Dupont, Duke Energy, Eli Lilly , FedEx, Freddie Mac, General Electric, General Motors, GlaxoSmithKline, Goldman, Sachs & Co., Lockheed Martin, Merck, Motorola, Mutual of Omaha New York Life, Novartis, Northrop Grumman, Pfizer, PhRMA, Roche, Rockwell, sanofi-aventis, Toyota, Verizon, Wal-Mart and Washington Council Ernst & Young.
The Prevent Cancer Foundation:
For more than 20 years, the Prevent Cancer Foundation has carried out its mission of cancer prevention in three important ways; by funding research that helps us better understand how to prevent cancer; educating the public about how they can prevent cancer; and by reaching out to communities across the nation. Since 1985, the Foundation has provided more than $97 million in support of cancer prevent research, education and outreach programs, and has played a pivotal role in developing a body of knowledge that is the basis for important prevention and early detection strategies.
The Foundation focuses its energies and resources on those cancers—including lung, breast, prostate, colorectal, cervical, skin, oral and testicular—that can be prevented through lifestyle changes or early detection and treatment. We envision a future where cancer incidence and mortality will be significantly reduced through preventive measures.
For more information, please visit: www.preventcancer.org.